LISTEN: CHAPTER 2

Jade’s POV
        Mom!? She’s alive!
        Oh thank goodness, at least she’s alright. “I’m so sorry. This is all my fault.” Her voice was now trembling. Oh…no mom. It’s my fault, I wasn’t strong enough.
        You did your best so we won’t be burnt to smithereens. I closed my eyes, refusing to face the challenge. It’s just that, sometimes things don’t work out as it we want it to.
        If anything, I should be the one who’s saying sorry.
        “I stayed in the hospital too.” She said. It might be only a few minutes since our “conversation” started, but I’m pretty sure she’s tactfully staying out of my coma condition.
        “My neck was hanging out of the window and my head got banged badly.” She added, trying to smooth her crumpled voice. “I was temporarily paralyzed for a whole week.”
        She paused, knowing she shared too much. I tried desperately not to make a mental picture of mom after the crash but I just can’t.
        Her eyes wandered around the hospital room. It did the exploring for her because she can’t move. Bandages wrapped her neck and head making her look like a bleeding mummy.
        Bags surrounded her beautiful blue eyes and her mind has only one thought: Me.
        If only I was strong enough to withstand the blow, mom wouldn’t be crying right now.
        “Oh…h-honey.” She stammered. Something made her so nervous, she only whispered. “D-don’t cry, please.” Wait….I’m crying? UGH! It’s so hard now that I can’t control myself.
        “I’m feeling all better.” She said, trying not to tremble. She started to cry some more, knowing all she’s doing is lying to herself.
        I didn’t believe her one bit. She might be physically fine but she’s got me to carry around as a burden in her shoulders. Chaining and slowing her down.
        “And we can finally go home.” She finally added. The last word stung even if I know it wasn’t supposed to. Home? You mean the one that was destroyed by that storm? Or the temporary apartment we’re supposed to live in ‘till we can stand for ourselves?
        “Doctor Santiago will visit every week for your medication.” She said with a sigh.
        My medication? I might not be an expert on meds but I’m pretty sure treating comatose patients cost a lot. And I don’t remember mom getting me a health card.
        Has she been working? If so, is her salary enough? Who’s funding all this?
        “Excuse me Doc. Ms Jade Fox has a visitor.” A female voice-not mom’s- chirped in after the door screeched loudly.
        Mom gasped as I heard footsteps coming towards us. “Hi, Catherine.” I might not hear that gruff voice frequently, but I can surely recognize it.
        How could I forget: Dad.
       
Catherine’s POV
        A tuxedoed man stepped in and I immediately gasped, not caring what Jade’s reaction might be. She too will be fairly surprised when she hears his voice again.
        “Hi, Catherine.” I was surprised by his patience. I returned none. “What are you doing here? You’re not needed. Jade and I learned to live without you.” I trailed.
        “Have you ever wondered who paid the hospital?” I froze. How could I forget? Jade and I don’t have Health Cards. He must’ve paid for everything.
        I dropped to the chair speechless. He didn’t say a word too knowing I would have kicked him out even if he did pay for it.
        But I can’t kick him out, I can’t work, I lost my job. And even if I find a new one, it won’t be enough for Jade’s medication. I don’t like this guy but I gotta play smart.
        “What are you doing here?” I repeated my first question. He smiled at me. It wasn’t a mischievous smile, it was more of an awkward one.
        “I’m here to visit Jade.” He said as he approached Jade lying down the bed. He kept looking at her sympathetically, I scoffed. If he took the role of the sympathetic father earlier, he would still be one.
        “Weird.” I thought aloud. He turned his gaze towards me. “What’s weird?” I gazed at his teal eyes that I once adored but now it doesn’t seem so beautiful.
        “Why are you helping us?” I asked him evenly even though inside I was dying to punch him in the face for what he has done, months of heartbreak and tears.
        “Why? You’re my family.” I stood up on his words. How dare he call us family. He did sign up the divorce. The practical side of me recalled. He didn’t go to court on the assigned day which made me hate him so much more.
        Jade didn’t have to know. This is my problem so I don’t need to tell her.
        “Play smart Catherine, I have a deal.” I grinned. “Of course.” He glared at me but continued. “I’ll pay for Jade’s medication but…”
        I waited for his deal. I survived a crash with a mere wound, what can’t I do?
                “Both of you will stay in my house just until you can fund her on your own.” He said as if it was no big deal. “WHAT!??” I screamed. 
rltc