LISTEN: CHAPTER 5


Catherine’s POV
        I opened my eyes the lush velvet drapery above my head greeted me. I immediately jumped up, regretting everything when my head felt dizzy. I looked back at the bed behind me and caught a glimpse of the wall clock, 5:48 it read. Wow, I think I slept a little.
        I recalled where Jade’s room was and immediately headed there. It was the door next to mine so it didn’t take long for me to get there.
        As I opened the door, I saw Harold sitting on a chair next to a record player. A box lay on Jade’s lap and a gruff voice surrounded the room.
        Then I realized, he showed them to her. He showed the tapes. Oh no, I’m in great trouble. “What are you doing here?” I said, evenly, trying to hide the fact that I’m nervous.
        “Making her feel better, I heard that talking to comatose patients helps them get better.” He said, turning off the player. “Well, it’s my turn.” I kicked him out with his tapes and faced Jade.
        “Look, I’m sorry. I didn’t want you to know. I didn’t want your life be ruined.” I started to cry but I thought it was wrong. I stiffened my tears.
        I still have so many secrets that I need to tell her and she’s still blaming me why we’re in this house. I have to make it up for her.
        “Honey, don’t worry. I’m gonna find a job and we’ll be out of here for good.” I was tempted to poke so many holes in my story. My low-paying job will not be enough for her meds.
        But I have to be tough. It’s my fault why we’re in this mess, I have to get us out. I’ll find a job tomorrow and as quick as I can. Maybe I can ask my boss to give me another chance at the cafĂ©.
        I have to at least try, I can’t take any chances. And I have to start with telling her the truth, the whole truth, the truth about me and his father.
        “Honey, that day when me and your father got into a fight because he was too busy with his job, we couldn’t even see him in the house anymore.” Tears came pushing through and my mouth shivered.
        “Then, I asked him, his business or us? He made his choice, a choice I couldn’t accept. We wanted you to have both a mother and a father but I just couldn’t stand it.
        I kicked him out and I lied to you. I told you that he was out and about for a business trip and you can keep him company by sending records of your voice.”
        I paused, tears now drenched my lap. But I have to do this. “He sent his records too but I wanted to make his profile bad up until one day you’d accept why we decided to split. And you did.
        That day when were supposed to go to court for that matter, he refused to sign the divorce paper.”
        “I just decided to put a good face to you and not tell the truth about it. But, I guess we can’t keep a secret for too long. Jade, me and your father are still married, your still 50% his and he has every right to call you his daughter. I’m so sorry.”
        I cried and cried and laid my head on her wrist. “Excuse me, dinner will be ready in 15 minutes.” The butler’s voice peeked from a crack on the door.
        “I’ll be there.” I said in the middle of sobs. I then forced myself to smile. I remembered Doctor Santiago’s tip to always let her hear positive things.
        “I better get ready. Your father got me a lot of fancy and frilly clothes.” I laughed, forcefully. “I think he wants me to wear one. I really wished you could see my closet.”
        I stood up, wiping all my tears and went towards the door. “See you later, honey. I love you.” I waited for a response and then reminded myself she can’t, or won’t.