LISTEN: CHAPTER 4

Catherine’s POV
        Doctor Santiago gave me a cold glare as if to say ‘Yup, she heard everything’
        He pulled me out of the room and Harold followed. “That was very irresponsible of the two of you.”  He scolded. “From now on, the only thing that Jade has to be hearing is not arguing.” He continued giving us multiple eye rolls.
        “But doc, didn’t Jade do that because we were arguing?” Harold cut in. I hate to admit this, but he is right. Jade wanted to grab our attention because we were fighting.
        She used that as motivation to try to move and she was successful.
        “So you’re saying you two should keep fighting in front of her?” But as they say, the Doctor is always right. If Jade is completely conscious we shouldn’t be arguing where she can hear us.
        “If you want to take her home, please observe positivity.” Doctor Santiago said and left me and Harold alone. “He’s right.” I finally found my voice.
        Harold nodded and led me back into the room where Jade stayed on the bed, of course. I went to Jade’s side and whispered to her ear, “Let’s go home.”

|===At Harold’s House===|

        The three finally reached Harold’s house which looked more like a castle. A butler assisted Catherine with Jade’s wheelchair and showed them to her room. “This is Ms. Jade’s room, yours, Madame, is right next to this one.” He said to Catherine who felt flattered with her label as he opened the door behind him.
        Inside, there was a four-poster canopy bed with silk pink fabric draper over it. The bed itself was pink and there were a few pillows at the headboard. There was a window seat at the right wall and a door which she assumed was the bathroom.
        The bed was in the middle of the room and to the left of it was some shelving and two cushioned chair separated by a round coffee table. There was also a flat screen TV.
        Next to that was a built-in closet which was filled with a bunch of clothes for Jade. The wall was coated with paint and there were a few hand painted designs around.
        Harold really did put an effort in making this room and he wasn’t even sure if Catherine would’ve agreed to his deal.
        The butler breezily placed Jade down on the bed and covered her with the blanket. He then gestured for Catherine to follow him and he then led her to the room right next to Jade’s.
        Her room was twice as big as Jade’s. There was king sized bed right in the middle of the room and on top of it was a portrait of Catherine.
        There was a flat screen TV right in front of the bed and bedside tables next to it. Catherine strolled around the room and saw that she has a walk-in closet filled with elegant dresses and fancy sleepwear.
        She then went inside the bathroom which has a sauna and a bathtub. Catherine saw tube of shampoo which was in her favorite scent, strawberries.
        Harold really is trying. He even remembered Catherine’s favorite shampoo. But Catherine has no intention of getting back with him. Well, technically, staying in a relationship with him.
        Catherine shook her head and began to examine the room a little more. She saw glass double doors that lead to a paved balcony complete with a mini-garden.
        The walls had built-in shelves filled with books and knick knacks. Catherine plopped herself on the bed wanting to rest a little but she got carried away into a deep sleep.

Jade’s POV
        The door shut and I was left alone in my new room. Mom’s room will be next to mine but I don’t think she’ll be visiting any time soon. She might get some sleep.
         I have no intention of sleeping, I want to stay awake and I don’t think I can even sleep.
        Just then, the door clicked open. Mom wanted to come after all. “Hi Jade.” Dad’s voice came instead of Mom’s. What now? Is he here to tell me that there are some fancy gowns I should wear?
        “I just wanted to say I’m sorry.” He said his voice screaming agony. “I know this is hard for you, but I’ll try to make it up. Here,” He laid down some weight on my lap. Its edges say it’s a box.
        “Remember those records you used to send me? I have them all here.” He said. I froze. I forgot about them.
        Ten years ago, when dad left us, I was clueless. Mom told me that I could send records to Dad and he’d respond. I sent a hundred and waited every single day for his voice tapes but they never came.
        Eventually, I gave up on this and stopped sending my records to Dad.
        I heard him open the box and took out some records. “I labeled them. This one’s your first ever record.” He played the record and I almost cried, well, I don’t know if I cried.
        “Hi Daddy! Mommy made apple pie, please come so you could try one. They’re delicious.” My six year old voice filled the air and Dad played the next one.
        “Daddy, I lost my favorite pair of socks so Mommy bought me another one with cat faces. It’s my new favorite.” My records were so random probably because I had a six year old’s mind back then.
        He played some more until he reached the last record that I sent. “Daddy, I didn’t see you in my graduation. I sent you a reminder, were you sick? Daddy, my friends had their fathers with them in the graduation. Daddy, why aren’t you coming home?”
        Then I remembered how all my kinder friends teased me when Dad didn’t come to the graduation. I sent him records weeks before it, talking about how excited I was to see him in my graduation day.
        I cried and cried. Mom could do nothing to comfort me and I threw my medal on the floor.
        When I thought he was about to leave he played another one. This time it wasn’t my voice that came out of the record player, it was his.
        “Hi there Princess, I wish I could come there and taste your mommy’s pie. But, I have a lot of work so maybe next time. I love you.” It took me a moment to realize that it was replying to my first record.
        He played another one. “Oh! Was it the heart socks that you lost? Well, I guess your mommy bought you a new one. I’ll send you some socks of your favorite design. Can you tell me? I love you, honey.” This one was replying to my second one.
        “These are the copies of the records I sent you.”
        WHAT!!?! He didn’t send me any records. Mom always checked the mailbox and saw nothing. Or, he could’ve sent me records but mom didn’t tell me.
        My heart ached as I came into a shocking discovery. She lied. My mother lied…