LISTEN: CHAPTER 3

“WHAT!” 
        Catherine stood frozen solid inside Jade’s hospital bedroom. She faced the tuxedoed man as if looking for something. As if finding a weak spot and then he could say it was all a joke.
        She didn’t find any.
        After all he’d done, he’s gonna come back and ask us to stay at his place like nothing happened! Catherine was about to voice out her thoughts when…
        “Play smart Catherine.” He pointed at Jade’s figure whose eyes were still closed but now it was tearing up.
       
Jade’s POV
        No, mom. Please. We can find money somewhere else please.
        I tried to yelp, to talk but nothing would come out. I can’t believe this, dad is using me to get mom back. UGH! I hate this, I can’t even stand up and comfort mom.
        My stomach churned and my heart clenched, am I suppose to even feel this? I don’t know, it’s like my first time being in a coma.
        “Fine,” Mom said evenly but I know deep inside, she’s dying to tear dad up to pieces ‘till he’s nothing but tiny pieces of paper. I know I would’ve done that if mom wouldn’t.
        If I could,
        Mom gave out a long, dreary sigh. I heard dad sit on the chair mom sat on once. “Hi honey, everything’s gonna be alright, now.”
        At that moment, I honestly thought I was about to wake up just to scoff at his statement. Honestly, deep inside I know nothing is gonna be alright. I can be stuck in a bed ‘till God knows when?
        “Once we get home, everything’s gonna be okay.” I would laugh at his pet talk if I can. This man really has to move on.
        He had a choice to stay as a father and a husband but he liked being a CEO better. Mom and dad are divorced now, why wouldn’t he just let us go, let mom go?
        Then mom’s crackling voice came again, “It’s just for the meantime honey.”
        I know she was telling that to herself. This is very difficult for mom. She’s doing the best she can do for me and is forgetting about her own needs.
        “Then everything would go back to normal.” She paused, quite hesitant to finish. “Just you and me,”
        Dad sighed, “When are you gonna tell her, Catherine?” I barely made the words out, he was whispering.
        Tell me what? I don’t think I was supposed to hear this but…
        “She doesn’t need to know,” Mom hissed and at that point I don’t think dad is lying. “It’s our problem, we don’t need to worry her.” Now, they’re talking like a married couple hiding something from their comatose daughter.
        WHY CAN’T I MOVE!!!?????
        The air around sucked the patience that I got and I really wanted to get a grip of myself. Mom and dad were still mumbling but I don’t really care anymore.
        I focused really hard trying to get a hold of my hands and I wanted to move it. I know this was hopeless, I know the consequences of my coma but maybe if I just focus……………

Catherine’s POV
        “She’s our daughter.” He reasoned.
        I scoffed. “If you chose wisely, she’d still be yours, Harold.” Involuntarily, tears come running out of my eyes. He sighed, taking the matter into fact
        “I can’t believe it, Catherine!” He said as if to blame me. We shouldn’t have these problems right now if he stayed.
        My tears now came like a waterfall from my eyes and I swear, I looked like a tomato that had been painted red.
        “Wait.” Said a voice, it wasn’t Harold’s. It was Doctor Santiago’s. He had been in the room all this time, listening to us discussing our problems.
        I was about to scold the doctor for butting in our cold conversation when I saw that he was pointing at, Jade. She was sweating hard and I kept looking at her. Just then, she slowly lifted her hands.
        I ran to her side to grab it and she smiled.
        “Unbelievable.” Doctor Santiago exclaimed. He managed to find his way to the other side of the bed and he was staring wide-eyed at Jade.
        “It proves that Jade is thinking. She’s completely conscious of what’s going on.” Doctor Santiago glared at me coldly as if to say ‘Yup, she heard everything’


rltc