LISTEN: CHAPTER 1

        Thunder clasped and a strike of lightning collapsed down Clover Point Road in Emeryville. Traffic of colored cars piled up in the street as they desperately raced the storming winds.
        Jade rode in their gray car with her mother, clinging tight on the car door. She sat on the passenger seat, fighting the urge to look back at her hometown being torn bit by bit by the storm. She stared in her lap for a moment, refusing to imagine what will happen next.
        Feeling her neck ache a little, she lifted her head to see the blue pick-up truck just a few centimeters ahead of them despite its fast pace.
        They were violating all the speed limits set for safety but, this time, the police didn’t care. In fact they too were exceeding the limit for their own safety.
        Jade looked at her mom who was busy with the road. She was too in depth that Jade didn’t want to bother her.
        She turned her head towards the window to see the sight of a wheat field being destroyed by the fury of the storm. A streak of light went down startling Jade as she blinked a few times to see that a fire was burning the field now.
        She looked back at her mother who seemed to have witnessed what has happened too but didn’t want to say anything.
        Just then, a bolt of lightning struck the truck in front of them, setting it to fire. The truck spun around as it moved closer and closer towards them in a fast motion. It was all too quick for Jade, but her mother was faster.
        She turned left to avoid colliding with the pick-up truck. Jade’s mother then realized that they weren’t the only ones in the road. They were coming towards a yellow cab that was right beside them.
        Jade instinctively shut her eyes closed. Then, she felt a bump making her thrash her whole body towards the dashboard, head first.  Jade didn’t open her aqua-blue eyes anymore. She couldn’t move. Her dizziness swooped in and darkness swallowed everything whole.
        Jade and her mother crashed.

* * * Weeks Later * * *


Catherine’s POV
        Ow……I whined making some heads turn towards my direction. I smiled awkwardly at them and was glad that they turned their head back. My hands-involuntarily-reached up to my wound even if the doctors have repeatedly told me that I shouldn’t be touching it.
        I pushed on it gently but began to regret my decision when it stung. I winced as I instantly pulled my hand back. I then checked my watch and it read, 9:45.
        It’s been 2 hours, is something wrong? The pathetic side of me squeaked. Of course something is wrong, what did you expect. After a car crash everything would be alright? I reasoned to myself but I still couldn’t help but look at the hallway where Doctor Santiago disappeared.
        Other people were also waiting down the hall, others tearing up beside their doctor. Somehow I can picture myself in a flood of tears too when Jade’s doctor comes back.
        What are you saying Catherine, nothing’s gonna happen to Jade…I hope.
        Just then, Doctor Santiago’s face came into view and I immediately stood up in impatience. I smiled at him but he didn’t return the gesture. He handed me a folder of papers but I didn’t open it up.
        “Please doc, tell me. Is my daughter okay?” I said eagerly. He sighed and made me sit back on my chair. He sat next to me and gulped. “Jade has no broken bones or has any serious injuries.” I sighed in relief as the doctor said the words.
        “Mrs. Fox, Jade is a strong and brave girl, she’ll overcome this.” The doctor added making me confused. “I thought you said Jade is physically fine.”
        He sighed once more, “Mrs. Fox, your daughter is in a coma.” I froze. My eyes widened as I tried to wall up my tears. “What?” I blurted out, not caring of the people’s stares.
        “Mrs. Fox calm down please. It’s not a direct hit so it isn’t severe.” I almost scoffed at his words. How could a coma not be severe? I whined, mentally this time. “She’ll be back in 5 years.”
        I stood up, furious. “You say that Doctor as if 5 years isn’t a long time.” I said, evenly but I was still showing signs of anger. “Mrs. Fox, if you want your daughter back, you have to put up an effort.”
        I was insulted. Does Doctor Santiago think I’m not a good mom? Perhaps not a good driver but I’ll have him know I am a great mother. “I’ll do everything.” I said with difficulty. At that moment I just wanted to crumple this doctor till his face looks like an old man’s.
        “Good.” He nodded for me to follow him. I went to walk beside him as he continued to explain Jade’s condition. “Coma, when a person can’t see, smell, move, talk, feels a little bit but can hear clearly.”
        I noticed him side-eye me, pausing. “You need to offer her a lot of time so that you can talk to her. Talking to comatose patients decrease their sleeping time.” He winced when I glared at him.
        Then, he stopped his tracks and I realized that we have arrived.
        I opened the door with a loud creak and saw my precious daughter lying on a bed, her eyes shut. I went to her side and held her hand and with my best non-croaky voice, I talked to her.
******

Jade’s POV
        I heard a loud creak, the door opened once more. But who could it be? Is it the doctor? He went to my side and I felt my hand touch a smooth skin, that’s when I realized, this definitely wasn’t Doctor Santiago.
        “Honey?” A female voice said, obviously she had been crying. Her voice was all cracked despite her attempts to hide it. It’s not when she talked some more when it hit me.
           Mom!? She’s alive!
rltc